Phase 4: Assessment of suppliers
In this phase, there is good advice on how to engage in a dialogue with the selected suppliers, evaluate their CSR activities and handle the risks identified.
All of the suppliers selected should have the opportunity to perform a self-assessment. If you consider it probable, based on this evaluation, that the supplier will not live up to your Code of Conduct, you must take action, for example by visiting the supplier. A supplier visit can give you insights on the supplier's actual conditions and form the basis for cooperation concerning ongoing improvements (see phase 5).
Self-assessment by suppliers
- Use a self-assessment questionnaire
- Send out a letter and the self-assessment questionnaire
- Select suppliers to visit
- Prepare a check list for the visit
- Incorporate the assessment into a routine visit
- Inform the supplier about your intended visit
- Start with a meeting with the management
- Speak to selected employees
- Review premises and documents
- Conclude with a meeting with the management